Way Tutu Cute

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Charity and a 4 Year Old

About a month ago, I sat down with my four year old daughter and tried to explain how fortunate she is to have the things she has.  I explained that not only do some kids not have toys and dress up clothes, but some don't have a place to sleep or a Mommy and Daddy to love them.  It was right around this time when we mutually agreed that this year, instead of receiving a bunch of birthday gifts that she doesn't really need, we would donate all of them to less fortunate children.  


We created a huge box, wrapped it in Christmas paper and put the word out for all of our family and friends to bring an unwrapped toy instead of a gift.  Everything was going according to plan until one of her classmates gave her a Bratz doll.... My daughter brought it into my room, with the saddest look in her eyes and finally understood that this doll wouldn't be hers and she'd have to "share" it.  Again, I explained how fortunate we are and she put her head down, thought for a minute, looked up and said "Mommy, I want to share this toy with a kid that doesn't have any."  Immediately, my eyes filled with tears and I grabbed her and gave her the biggest hug I could.  I couldn't believe what an incredible little girl we raised.  She is my inspiration.


Hard to believe that a 4 year old could teach her Mom a lesson, but she did.  In honor of my daughter, I would like to donate $1 for every item sold from now until Christmas to the hungry.  If my daughter can make a difference, so can I.  I also encourage everyone that's reading this blog to do something nice for someone less fortunate this holiday season.  It doesn't take much - check the bottom of your purse, or the inside of your couch for some loose change and use it to make a difference.  Let's spread the love.  

1 comment:

  1. totally impressive Ms.L! we will be following your inspiration My Ms.N will be getting a handful of toys for a group of kids that otherwise wouldnt be getting much...of anything! so...to our daughters who inspire!

    ReplyDelete